Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami (BBBSM) recognizes that making the best possible match between a Little and a Big is critical to the growth and development of a child or teen. However, BBBSM also recognizes the importance of safety for all children and teens, which is why youth safety is our number one priority! We, therefore, start by thoroughly screening potential Bigs in accordance with Big Brothers Big Sisters National Standards of Excellence requirements. These include:
- Completion of a formal written application
- Background and reference checks
- In-person interview
- Orientation and training that…
- Outlines the individualized needs of your child
- Provides information and resources on how to encourage your child’s development
You can review the full process to become a Big here.
BBBSM also provides you and your child with child safety tips, and we welcome your questions and feedback. For the entire duration of the match, your Program Specialist will regularly be in touch with you, your child, and your child’s Big – allowing us to support the development of a strong relationship that will have the greatest impact on your child’s future successes.